A very diverse business segment
Colas performs more than 60,000 projects each year around the world, building and maintaining:
- roads and highways
- airport runways and aprons
- port facilities, industrial and logistics hubs, shopping centers
- city streets and urban development (cycle paths, pedestrian areas)
- reserved lane public transport networks (trams, subways, bus rapid transit)
- leisure facilities (greenways, motor circuits, sports equipment)
- environmental projects (retention basins, landscaping, wind farms)
Colas also operates in:
- the manufacture, installation and maintenance of safety, signaling and traffic management equipment for infrastructure (Aximum subsidiary)
- minor civil engineering and drainage activities, as well as more complex civil engineering (engineering structures)
- building, in specific geographical zones (new construction and rehabilitation in Greater Paris, Indian Ocean and Pacific islands; deconstruction in France under the Premys brand)
Major road projects
The Group's road construction and maintenance units perform a very large number of small-scale projects, as well as contracts of greater size and complexity.
These larger projects can be carried out in the form of complex contracts such as concessions, P3 (Public Private Partnership), PFI (Private Finance Initiatives) or ASC (Asset Support Contracts). Colas may also take a stake in concession companies, most of the time minority interests, on highway and airport infrastructure, freeways and public transport.
The Group created Colas Projects, an entity dedicated to managing major projects, to provide local Colas companies with expertise in studies and roll out.